The pen is mightier than the sword, so they say, but there are many writers who prefer to use other tools to cut their way to the truth of a story.
The Hay Festival is ongoing in picturesque Hay-On-Wye so today Home Arty Home looks at eleven art prints ideal for the writing den.
Whilst many an opus is probably crafted on a laptop, there’s nothing as romantic as the notion of the writer at their desk bashing out a masterpiece on their trusty old typewriter, or scrawling their genius tome with a pencil across reams of pages for a confused editor to decipher.
Whatever the weapon of choice, consider these prints for the writer’s room.
1. Pop Chart Lab This Visual Compendium of Typewriters by Pop Chart Lab gathers together iconic models over 100 years in chronologic order.
2. Yumalum This graphic typewriter dispenses rainbows, a lovely visual metaphor for the joy the writer in your life creates.
3. Helena Carrington Helena’s hand-illustrated typewriter has a naive charm that would add fun to a space.
4. Art & Hue This stylish graphic pop art typewriter is available in a choice of 16 colours, pictured here in red.
5. Pigeon Editions Mark Twain and Allen Ginsberg are among the writers’ typewriters in this print.
6. Ruka Ruka This print can be personalised with words such as the name of the writer in your life or perhaps the title of their novel.
7. The Hambledon I know, not an art print, but couldn’t resist including this adorable pencil case shaped like a pencil.
8. Art & Hue This stylish stack of pencils can be ordered as a colourful graphic pop art print, or personalised with a word or name.
9. Tim Easley Home Arty Home loves this risograph print by Tim Easley detailing the life of a pencil.
10. Art & Hue Another stylish pop art print from Art & Hue which can be ordered as a circle of coloured pencils or personalised with a name or word in the middle.
11. Tim Easley Another great print from Tim Easley of a pencil ampersand.